Pretty Christmas Trimmings That Can Harm Your Pets

The glitz and glitter of Christmas is so pretty that it’s easy to forget the potential dangers of our festive trimmings, so here are some of the possible hazards that may threaten your pet at this time of year.

Spray Snow

Spray snow looks very pretty but it does contain chemicals that are harmful to animals. If your cat or dog licks the substance they could suffer from sickness and diarrhoea or other gastrointestinal problems.

Tinsel

Tinsel can cause a blockage in the intestines if eaten and might require a trip to the vet to clear the blockage.

Glitter

The sparkle of glitter is very attractive to pets, but glitter is easily ingested. The tiny pieces can also lodge in their eyes and set up a nasty irritation.

Baubles

Glass baubles present a serious danger to pets if broken, and also pose a choking hazard.

Fairy Lights

Your pet can be electrocuted by fairy lights if bitten through, but there’s also a danger they could become tangled in the lights and be unable to free themselves if they’re alone in the house.

Silica Gel

Silica gel sachets are very small and your pet may eat them without you noticing. These sachets can cause gastrointestinal upset, vomiting and diarrhoea.

Whilst not wishing to diminish the joy of Christmas, it pays to make sure your pets are safe this festive season. Many of these trimmings aren’t obviously hazardous but they do have the potential to cause serious harm.