Mind Over Matters – February/March 19

Wooden Legs & Excuses by Richard Nicholls

Have you ever met someone with a wooden leg? Not a real wooden leg, but a metaphorical one? […]

By |February 4th, 2019|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Mind Over Matters – February/March 19

Tom’s Column – February/March 19

How Coventry Stomped The Film Critic Out Of Me by Tom Beasley

I’m about to do two very tiresome things, and for that I’m going to apologise up top. Firstly, I’m going to talk about films again. Sorry, but as a film journalist these days, it’s something that occupies an awful lot of my mental real estate. Secondly, I’m going to talk about Christmas which, as you’re probably reading this in February, is about as timely as a pool party in November. However, I have very specific reasons for bringing up both of those subjects this time. […]

By |February 3rd, 2019|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Tom’s Column – February/March 19

Bits and Bobs Column – February/March 19

The Fountain of Youth by Bob Garlick

I reckon I was in my early fifties and, although being predominantly dark haired, I had started to go grey at the temples and more obviously, had developed a grey streak running through the middle of my hair. I kept looking but shied away from those ‘get rid of the grey’ products but was always tempted to try. […]

By |February 3rd, 2019|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Bits and Bobs Column – February/March 19

History Column December 18/January 19

Folklore in Warwickshire Villages by Val Tonks, Earlswood Historical Society

Most of us have, at some time, heard of sayings such as, “Red sky at night, shepherd’s delight” and “Red sky in the morning, shepherd’s warning”, about whether to expect rain. There were many such sayings about weather predictions for which some have a scientific explanation. […]

By |December 14th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on History Column December 18/January 19

Tom’s Column December 18/January 19

Never Meet Your Heroes, Unless It’s On The Big Screen by Tom Beasley

As a film critic who sees in excess of 200 movies a year at the cinema, I watch a lot of biopics. Every year, dozens of films are made that delve into the lives of well-known or interesting figures in order to shed light on who they are or were as people. […]

By |December 14th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Tom’s Column December 18/January 19

Mind Over Matters December 18/January 19

Don’t Let Your Career Define You by Richard Nicholls

Imagine you’re invited to a friend’s house for a party and you find yourself chatting to a total stranger. If they were to say to you, “So, what do you do?” What’s the first thing that pops into your mind? […]

By |December 14th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Mind Over Matters December 18/January 19

Bits and Bobs Column December 18/January 19

I Look After You, You Look After Me by Bob Garlick

As part of my daily diet, I like to start […]

By |December 11th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Bits and Bobs Column December 18/January 19

Mind Over Matters October/November 18

Anything Is Better Than Nothing by Richard Nicholls

Is there something you want to achieve that you know is going to take a while? Maybe something that has many steps, such as getting fitter or writing a dissertation? If so, then you need to be aware that doing anything that brings you closer to the end result, is better than doing nothing at all. […]

By |October 7th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Mind Over Matters October/November 18

Bits and Bobs Column October/November 18

In The Early Days by Bob Garlick

I see that ‘Still Open All Hours’ is on the telly. I confess that I don’t watch it as there could, for me anyway, be only one Arkwright and that was Ronnie Barker. Perhaps I could see a bit of my Dad in his character. […]

By |October 5th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Bits and Bobs Column October/November 18

Tom’s Column August/September 18

Unity’s Coming Home from the World Cup, Win or Lose by Tom Beasley

I often write in these pages about the political and cultural differences that are rife in modern Britain. Any mention of Brexit immediately turns 52% of people into gloating victors crowing about our bright future, while the remaining 48% of the population sees it as a sort of constantly worsening nightmare – like one that starts with you embarrassingly naked, but ends in you being crushed to death by a giant block of cheese riding a Zamboni. The same is true of former EDL leader and professional hatemonger Tommy Robinson, who is a misunderstood Messiah to many but, for others, he’s a blindingly simple case of someone who committed a crime and is now in jail as a result. […]

By |August 7th, 2018|Magazine Articles, Regular Features|Comments Off on Tom’s Column August/September 18